Introduction to our Training Courses
The Cognitive Centre is committed to delivering courses that suit the organisation or individual(s). We therefore offer in-house courses for an organisation, or open courses for individuals from many organisations to attend.
The courses are structured on the basis of a standard free-standing course, or tailored courses to suit the organisation. We are always happy to discuss the most appropriate and cost-effective choice and would encourage you to contact us at the Centre in order that we can identify the best option.
These programmes have been used in such diverse settings as Schools, Youth Justice, Criminal Justice, Secure Units, Mental Health Organisations, the Voluntary Sector, Housing Associations, Prisons, Fire and Rescue Services and Police Forces.
We have trained extensively throughout the UK and Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, The Isle of Man, Singapore, Switzerland, Sweden, Sydney and Tasmania
We have listed the standard courses in the following categories:
1. COGNITIVE BEHAVIOURAL INTERVENTIONS
The standard training schedule, unless otherwise indicated is for four days. Participants will receive the latest edition of the intervention plus other appropriate materials. The programmes are as follows:
- Offending Is Not The Only Choice
- Violence Is Not The Only Choice
- Substance Misuse Is Not The Only Choice
- Domestic Abuse Is Not The Only Choice
- Criminal Lifestyles
- One World (Hate Crime)
- Step Out (Individuals in gangs)
- The Ross Programme for Youths
- The Ross programme for Girls and Young Women
- Dealing with Destructive levels of Male Aggression
These courses have been developed from the latest research into effective working practices. Unless otherwise indicated, the training schedule is for two days.
3 RISK ASSESSMENT / MANAGEMENT COURSES
The Centre provides training in a range of assessments which are central to the work of Juvenile Justice and Criminal Justice staff. Training is provided by accredited trainers and overseen by a Master Trainer. We also offer a one day overview of the latest developments in the field of risk assessment/management.
- Overview of risk assessment/management
- The Youth Level of Service/Case Management Inventory
- Level of Supervision/Case Management Inventory (LS/CMI)
- The Level of Service Inventory-Revised
- P-Scan: Personality, Psychopathy and Panic!
- Spousal Abuse Risk Assessment
- Strengths And Protective Factors Assessment For Violence Risk In Youth
4. WORKPLACE DEVELOPMENT COURSES
The Centre is pioneering a new modular framework designed to meet issues that arise in many work places. These short modules can be used as stand-alone or in sequence and they will provide the basis for individuals to focus on issues such as responsibility, skills and attitudes which are strongly linked with a stable, productive and a more fulfilling workplace experience.
- The Pro Social Trainer